Biltong may not seem like a likely breakfast addition but after being tried and tested these recipes have the Ember thumbs up. Not only does biltong add rich flavour but it also really packs more protein into the most important meal of the day. Give them a go and let us know what you think.
For more recipes be sure to check out our biltong recipe collection here.
Eggs and Biltong Breakfast
Why not add some Ember Chilli Biltong to your eggs to give them that added kick. This healthy, high protein breakfast was created by @alwayshungryinlondon. She says biltong is a great accompaniment with eggs to boost protein intake and flavour.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
- 2 eggs
- 28g pack of Ember Biltong (choose chilli flavour if you like spice)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Handful of sweet santini tomatoes, halved (or any small tomatoes)
- Handful of rocket leaves
- Sprig of thyme, chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, finely sliced
- Sauté the tomatoes over a medium-high heat. Tomatoes should start to wrinkle after two minutes. Add the chopped thyme to the pan and cook for another minute or so
- Meanwhile, fry the eggs in a pan for 2-3 minutes, depending on how runny you like the yolk
- Add the rocket, avocado, sautéed tomatoes and chilli to your plate
- Top with the fried eggs and Ember biltong
French bean and Biltong Scrambled Eggs
Now this is one delicious twist on classic scrambled eggs. Created by @attenuate_my_weightand packed full of protein. He even makes sure to use the extra biltong seasoning dust at the bottom of the pack. Give it a go.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 8 mins
- 2 eggs
- 28g pack of Ember Biltong
- Handful of french beans
- 100g cream cheese
- Chop the french beans into small pieces
- Whisk the eggs together in a bowl and add a splash of milk and a pinch of salt
- Heat a splash of oil to a pan over a medium heat and add the egg mixture
- Let the mixture sit for 20 seconds then begin to stir it - lifting and folding over from the bottom of the pan
- Let it sit for another 10 seconds and add the chopped green beans and biltong
- Continue to stir the eggs until they are softly set
- Put the scrambled eggs, beans and biltong on a plate, add a spoonful of cream cheese on top and a sprinkle of 'biltong dust'
Biltong and eggs pancakes
Who doesn't love a fluffy stack of pancakes? Add eggs, biltong, and maple syrup and you'll have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
- 2 eggs + 1 egg beaten for the pancakes
- 28g pack of Ember Biltong
- 135g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 130ml milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter, plus extra for cooking
- Maple syrup
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and caster sugar into a large bowl
- In a separate bowl lightly whisk the milk and egg together, then whisk in the melted butter
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and beat until you have a smooth batter. Leave to stand for a couple of minutes
- Heat a pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. Once it's melted, add a ladle of batter. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown
- Repeat this process with the remaining batter
- Meanwhile, fry the eggs over a medium heat pan for 2-3 minutes
- Once the pancakes and eggs are done, stack up your pancakes on a plate add your egg/s on top, sprinkle with biltong and a dash of maple syrup
Our mouths are watering just thinking about it.
Don't forget to check out our other biltong recipes like this Biltong Scotch Egg one.