Love biltong as a snack but never thought of using biltong in a recipe? @betheatsathome was on the same boat - until we came along. She says, “These potato pancakes are stuffed with oozy, melty cheese sauce and chewy, flavoursome biltong for an indulgent and delicious brunch.”
For a full list of recipes, check out our biltong recipe guide.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
- 28g Ember Garlic & Rosemary Biltong
- 1 Large potato, peeled and diced
- 4 tbsps Plain flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
- ¼ Cup shredded cheddar
- ¼ Cup shredded mozzarella
- 4 Spring onions
- 1 Small handful coriander
- 2 tbsps Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- Pinch of salt
- For the mash, steam the potatoes rather than boil for this recipe as the texture seems to work better. Add the potatoes to a steamer attachment (or metal sieve) over a pan of boiling water, cover with a lid and steam for approx. 20 mins until it can be cut with a spoon
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes with the flour, salt and garlic powder until really smooth
- Roll the mix into 6 little balls and using your thumb, make a deep indentation in each.
- Stuff with the two cheeses and the Ember biltong, squeeze in the edges until sealed and flatten slightly into thick pancakes.
- Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan on a medium high heat and add the pancakes. Fry on for 5-6 minutes each side until golden and crunchy.
- Whilst the potato pancakes cook, pulse the salsa ingredients (minus the oil) a few times until chunky. Mix in the oil.
- To serve, stack the pancakes, add the salsa and add the remaining biltong.